Wednesday 9 January 2008

Why am I here?

You may wonder what I'm doing in France. Well I can't answer all of that question as it would mean giving away personal details of some of the people close to me, but I'm basically taking a break. I'm sure many of us would like to do that at some point or other in our lives, and perhaps some or many of us do. I know sometimes it doesn't seem like there is an opportunity to just take off and almost re-invent yourself, and so when the opportunity was there for me, I took it.

I was struggling in all areas of my life and my physical and emotional health were suffering majorly as a result. After having my 6th operation (for crohn's disease) and having a very difficult and exhausting prolonged recovery, on top of the other problems/difficulties that were sapping my life energy, I decided to take up the offer of a friend and come and live in the alps for a while. At that point, I did not know what life had planned for me (none of us do!) but instead of being overly scared (of course I was a little), I was more excited at what might happen, and I embraced the huge change gratefully.

So here I am, and I don't regret one moment of coming here. Of course you may read this and think, well of course she's not going to regret living in the alps! And you will partly be right. But living here high up in the mountains, does pose challenges that you might never need to think about, if living in "normal" society. But thankfully, I have overcome most of them, and although there are still things that scare me about living here, I am getting more bold at giving them a go.

No comments: