Tuesday 1 April 2008

A poem about My Crohn's

I suffered for many many years
Before the doctors told my young ears
That I had Crohn's, and it was here to stay
And that it would make me suffer and never go away


I was only young back then
Only about age nine or ten,
A child who knew nothing of what was to come
Of many years of misery and a very sore tum!


So I had this tube up my nose and into my tum
Which fed me night and day – oh yum!
I even had a shiny new pump once to carry
I think my friends thought it was him I was going to marry!


So I was fed like that for a total of 8 years
I wasn't exactly the envy of my peers!
I also had all manner of pills
I'm glad I didn't pay those medical bills!


I also had to go under the knife
An op which gave me a lot of strife
But when I pulled through I was told I was a fighter
Even though I was rather a lot lighter!


I will never forget the day I saw what they took out of me
A day the nurse wheeled me into the lab so I could see
It wasn't really a very pretty sight
Seeing all my swollen intestines there in the light!


So years went by and I wasn't getting any weller
Although I still managed to hook up with a feller!
And then he went away and I had to have another operation
And with feller being away it was pretty frustrating!


Nothing could have prepared me for the hell that came,
And after my ops I was never the same
For they had to cut me open a total times of three
And there were days when I couldn't believe it was even me!


I am forever grateful to the staff who saved me from dying
To you I swear I am honestly not lying
For I nearly died several times over
With all manner of problems plus of course pneumonia


So I ended up with a little friend called a stoma
And although I was sad he did make me stronger
And without him I might not even be here to tell this tale
So I am grateful for he helped me get well


And since then I have said goodbye to my stoma
So alas I'm now all aloner!
But I think he might be back one time
And I should hope that will be just fine


But since then I've had yet another op
This roller coaster ride sure doesn't stop!
This time yet more complications
What is it with these operations!


And now I'm still plodding along
Remembering all that has past and gone
I remain hopeful for the future and that there might be
A wonder cure for all Cronies like me!


But in the meantime I want to thank you all
For being there whenever I feel alone and small
I know you all go through similar and the same
And therefore totally understand my pain


To all CZ'ers - may we all be
There for each other as long as we need
A shoulder to cry on, a person to care
A person we can share with and help us all bear


Lots of love and healing hugs, Ruth xxxx

NB: This poem was posted on the Crohnszone site - a fantastic support site for people with Crohn's and Colitis.

No comments: