Wednesday 30 April 2008

More treatments plus an achievement!

Well here I am after another rather long day of infusions. I say plural because I've ended up with an iron infusion as well as the Infliximab/Remicade I was scheduled to have. Didn't even realise I was so low in iron, so there you go - glad they spotted it today, and it certainly could explain why I've been feeling so extra tired and dizzy/faint recently. Boy am I feeling exhausted right now though - I know that's partly because of the anti-histamines they gave me to limit my chances of a reaction. Going to rest in a bit.

I am feeling rather chuffed with myself right now though, as this weekend I have managed probably my most challenging hike/walk yet - a vertical walk up a snowy mountain off-piste (where I live), with 55 degree steepness and reaching around 7,500 ft. Ok I know it's not the highest mountain in the world, but for me I'm still pleased at what I've achieved - and especially now I've just found out how anaemic I was, on top of the usual symptoms I get of the dreaded D, pain, nausea, dizziness etc. A friend who was doing the walk with me said how amazed she was at my energy, especially as she thought I hardly ate anything at all (pretty right, especially when about to tackle a hike like that, as I don't want to bring on the D!) and yet I was out in front most of the way (there were just 3 of us walking though). I told her to be honest it's my stubborness and determination that gets me through most of the time, and I always try to remain positive. However, I still had to say my prayers a few times on the most steep bits and try not to look down!! Really hope I'm not sounding like I've grown an enormous head now! I've never wanted to be a big-head and don't like it in others, so big apologies if I'm blowing my own trumpet too much. I guess what I really wanted to convey is I'm feeling on top of the world and don't want this feeling to end.

It was so gloriously hot at the top that we ended up taking our clothes off and parading around in just our knickers/pants! It's mad when you think we had been hiking in snow, but then to be fair the whole way it was rather hot, and people under-estimate how strong the sun is even when there is snow. Maybe it reflects off it. It's certainly mega bright when it's like that and sunglasses are a must! I got a sunburnt head even though I wore a sunhat nearly all the way! After we had a little break at the top, we then sledged all the way down, on the pistes this time (I live on a ski resort although it's now closed for the season). People were yelling to us how mad we were, but my it was so much fun and definitely worth every strange look we got!
Anyway, will hopefully be posting a few pics of the hike soon, once I've uploaded the photos. Take care and love, R xxxx

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Ruth,
Oh what an amazing feeling it is when you achieve something like that, you are entitled to feel proud. I used to love orienteering n the Lake District in my teens - sometimes it was a nnightmare during the walk but when you reach the goal that sense of elation stays with you forever (I'm feeling it now just remembering!)
Well done you.
Gary